Friday 21 August 2009

Bombs Away!!!

Do you remember the time I told you all about my new found hobby... comedy? Well last night the whole clan decided to attend an open mic session at the Olde Starr Inn in town. The pub itself was a classic ale drinkers paradise, and it was for this reason alone why we thought of performing there. Having arrived at the pub for 7:30, we all buy drinks (mainly coke as we wanted to be sober) and awaited patiently for our time to come (a lot later than we all anticipated!!)

The session was meant to get under way at about 8, however for some reason unknown to us, it did not start until about 11pm meaning I had missed my last bus home. (At this point I would like to thank Sam of TCL for the taxi ride home, I love this guy :D)

Eventually the session began and as ever there were a plethora of musicians. They all struggled to be heard over the background noise of people talking which must have been annoying, however they were well recieved by those who actually decided to pay attention. Finally it was the turn of Yorks Amateur Comedians (us) and Seb went up first.

He went up and we all expected good things from him as he has a very solid set. However due to the aforementioned noise, he was not able to project his voice enough and sadly those who listened were not receptive to his comedy. One guy, who can only be described as a cunt waffle, decided to act like a big shot and began to heckle Seb. Being the model pro that he is, he decided to carry on and finish off his set.

Pete then goes up and BOMBS big time. It was not his fault, the "big shot" decides to heckle again, disrupts Petes rhythm and ends up with Pete just leaving.

Eventually, Beneri decides to call a group meeting to tell Sam and I that there is no point going on stage as the crowd are "not ready for comedy." Sadly he is not aware of the blogging brother spirit.... WE DON'T GIVE A FUCK!!!! I wish we did....

Sam and I decide to perform as we have to get a taxi back and I had already spent nigh on 10 hours with Fazz during the afternoon/evening! Anyway Sam and I flip a coin and it is decided (after much arguing) that I shall perform first. Needless to say the heckler warns me that he will also go at me if he think I suck. I just said.... "If you don't like it then go kill yourself!" which seemed to shock him no end.

Anyway I end up performing and I got quite a few laughs apparently. The heckler tried to have a go but I winked at him and yet again threw his off course. He was quite complementary in the long run and said to me that he liked getting the abuse back (he was rather inebriated at this point however.) Where I bombed was that after the wink, for some reason I forgot all my set, I look at Browny, he looks back at me shouting "I think you're done mate" so I pop the mike back and yell out "thats me done for now folks... CIAO!"

Sam goes up after me and I could tell he was affected by the 3 of us before him bombing. Maybe he went in with too much expectations but his nerves kinda showed through. After 2 jokes, the heckler returns and rips into Sam. He goes on about how bad his set is (cardinal sin in comedy) and he winds up getting flustered and just storms off set. Now Sam is like a brother to me (blogging and in other ways that are none gay...) so I set about trying to console him. In all honesty, his set is amazing and out of all of us who performed, my set (the best recieved) is the weakest by far.

After a bit of soul searching and geeing up by the rest of us, Sam felt better and we all decided to have more beer to cheer up. We all arrived at the conclusion that the crowd tonight were crap, not listening and that while we bombed, it was not due to a bad set but due to conditions!

All in all though it most certainly was an experience. One that I won't forget and I will take what I have learnt into the 5th of September (be there) with the knowledge that it won't ever be that bad again.... Unless I am unlucky


Big love to you all xxxxxx

No comments: